Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome to the Official Del Amitri Bulletin Board!

If you've lost your password, click on "login" and then "forgot password."

Pages: 1 2 3 
Has this forum hindered the sucess of the JC CD? & (Read 39980 times)
GM
Empty

I love the Dels!

Has this forum hindered the sucess of the JC CD? &
11/04/07 at 12:18:07

Has the regular posters on this site contributed to the lack of sales of the Justin Currie Solo CD. Discuss:

1. Anyone searching the net for Del Amitri will undoubtidly come across this site, and will see that the regular posterson the site do nothing to promote Justin Currie or Del Amitri,and seem to relish mocking and humiliating visitors who ask any question.. 

2. If anyone outside the "clique" supplyany information of relevance,they are quickly told they are talking keech. 

No wonder no-one sticks around to find out if there are any new releases/tours.

I fully expect to be humilitated for this, but I am happy knowing that I am a true fan who tries to spread the music, rather than try to keep the music to themselves...

Compared to fans of other bands/singers trying to keep the music alive, this forum seems to be hell bent on ruining a career..

Discuss.

IP Logged

janea
Funny Way To Win (500+)

From this side of the
morning I couldn't care
less

No Better Location
Re: Has this forum hindered the sucess of the JC C
Reply #1 - 11/04/07 at 12:48:26

This post is so pathetic it barely warrents a response, but I am too annoyed to let it be.

How can you say we've done nothing to promote the album?  If you read through the posts you will see the efforts we have made to email the radio stations with requests, how we've told all and sundry about it, how we've promoted it on our MySpace sites.

If the record  company had wanted people to hand out flyers in the street we would have been there.  We love the music and we all do everything we can to get it out there.

What have YOU done?

And maybe one or two people might take the piss, but the rest of us are generally very nice to newbies - honest. Unless we are accused of not doing anything to help get the music of Mr Currie to the masses.... Smiley

WWW | MSN  
IP Logged

unbeliever
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Reply #2 - 11/04/07 at 12:54:17

I think you'd be better asking the record company why there are no copies of the CD in the shops.  Promotion's useless if there's nothing to actually buy.  A few of us on here made a concerted effort to track copies down, and had to visit more than one shop.

If life breaks your heart, you needn't fall apart

IP Logged

ChrissieA
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Can't imagine life without
Del Amitri in it!

Colchester, England
Reply #3 - 11/04/07 at 13:15:57

Hear hear Jane!! - well said.

The hard core group of fans who have been posting on this board and various others over the years do their utmost to keep the flag flying for Del Amitri and Justin Currie and probably will for ever and a day!

We've been there for the good times and the bad - we've hung around waiting (and talking rubbish in between times) but we always try to spread the music and promote the band in every little way we can.

There may be hundreds of Del Amitri fans out there like yourself who don't post regularly on boards and the like but are still loyal and wanting success for any new Del/Justin project and it saddens me to think that you would feel put off by a few negative bits of banter.  

What do you mean in your comment about If anyone outside the "clique" supply any information of relevance,they are quickly told they are talking keech? Can you elaborate on this?

I'm a woman with nothing to do....

IP Logged

Rosey
Not Where It's At (50+)

Scotland
Reply #4 - 11/04/07 at 13:52:49

I think you might be giving a bit too much power to the effects of a message board on whether someone would buy a music album or not. Surely if you are interested you will check out justins myspace where you can hear the music?

Different people like the same music, doesn't mean they will all get on or like each other. This board works for those who are here regularly. I don't think it reflects on JC all that much what is said here.

I also don't think anyone is particularly mean. (As long as you aren't a nervous wreck who quibbles at one person with a wicked sense of humour who is occassionally an arse, that is.  Wink)

IP Logged

GM
Empty

I love the Dels!

Reply #5 - 11/04/07 at 13:53:43

What have I done?

Only missed 1 tour (including UDS and button up) since '89 (not '88 like poor Saxon - who was basically told he was talking keech when he said that he had been a fan since '88 - oops he was a year out. We all can make simple mistakes!). I also try to bring others to the gigs, people who say -I remember Nothing Ever Happens - I thought they has chucked it and were working in a petrol station now.

Buy the CD's the day they come out, sometimes multiple copies (Ihave a wife who is as big a fan). Personally, I bought through Townsend, asI have used them before, and always found their service to be excellent.

In this day of the internet, it is clear that having a positive on-line presence can help sell records, so the fans that contribute to our favourite bands sites need to be aware that pushing people away and generally being fuds can only have a detrimental effect.

Sorry to come back to you Saxon, but if you criticise someone for their job and not for their obvious appreciation for the music, then can you be surprised if people don't return to the site, and then don't find out about the latest news. This guy seems to be a fan, who wants to appreciate more of the music.

It is not the "hard-core" (hate that phrase) fans that gets CD's into the higher regions of the chart, and the last I looked, this is the "OFFICIAL" Del Amitri site, and therefore casual surfers will take anything posted more seriously.

You know, and I know that sending mass emails to Radio 1, Clyde 1, etc will not get the record onto the playlist,and ultimately will not sell more records. I never expected this record to do anything fantastic, and the best that Justin can hope for is that one of the tracks is picked up by a TV show or film. 

Perhaps I should not have said "not trying to promote", when what I really meant was that the "negative" posts appear to outweigh anything positive and always seem to be my memory any time I visit the site.

There are other bands/singers out there who are trying tore-launch careers, go solo, and their fans seem to be more appreciative of the casual surfers, and this will grow the fan base much quicker, in my opinion....

IP Logged

Rosey
Not Where It's At (50+)

Scotland
Reply #6 - 11/04/07 at 14:00:08

I think the point in this whole topic is negative and you sound whiny.

Only 1 person was mean to Saxon, that is hardly reflective of the whole board.

p.s. I'm a newbie and I haven't had a slagging yet, but if I do, I won't run away crying. It's only a laugh. It's not real life. It's the internet.

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Wilfully wobbling through
life

Reply #7 - 11/04/07 at 15:10:33

I'm not going to have a tantrum about what's posted here: fair enough if that's what you think, GM.  I do think this board is a particulary odd and unwelcoming one to a newcomer, not really any point denying that.  between posts designed sheerly to slag someone off and some real utter shite that works its way round it's hardly a surprise that people don't want to use the forum.

But that has absolutely nothing to do with people buying the music, which is well represented on MySpaz.  If I went onto a forum for Ryan Adams and found that his fans were utterly obnoxious then I don't visit the forum - it has no bearing on whether I continue to listen to Ryan's music.

Your points have been addressed, but I can only think of two people that have recently said anything about someone's lack of knowledge and, on both occassions, maybe it was petulant but, so what?  Are people so sensitive that being corrected on a date on a forum, by someone with no affiliation to the artist, makes them decide to no longer be a fan?  God, no wonder album sales are suffering.

Finally, why the hell is it our responsibility to help him increase his sales?  He's a veteran of the industry, if he can't make an effort to connect with his potential audience then who's fault is that?  Certainly not the 20 odd people that post here regularly.  if Justin is worried about how his music is represented then it's up to him to provide a presence on this forum to maintain some standards.

Your responsibility is to not be so pompous by deigning to correct others for imagined failings in our "duty" as fans.

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #8 - 11/05/07 at 03:15:13

GM wrote on 11/04/07 at 12:18:07:
Has the regular posters on this site contributed to the lack of sales of the Justin Currie Solo CD. Discuss:

1. Anyone searching the net for Del Amitri will undoubtidly come across this site, and will see that the regular posterson the site do nothing to promote Justin Currie or Del Amitri,and seem to relish mocking and humiliating visitors who ask any question..  

2. If anyone outside the "clique" supplyany information of relevance,they are quickly told they are talking keech.  

I fully expect to be humilitated for this, but I am happy knowing that I am a true fan who tries to spread the music, rather than try to keep the music to themselves...

Compared to fans of other bands/singers trying to keep the music alive, this forum seems to be hell bent on ruining a career..

Discuss.

How do people this stupid survive?

What a silly post.....

IP Logged

welshgirl
Funny Way To Win (500+)

put what you like here
mitch!

Reply #9 - 11/05/07 at 03:37:21

what is keech anyway?

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #10 - 11/05/07 at 03:41:00

I thought it was something that had cheese and egg in it that you eat.

IP Logged

nigel
Low Friends In High Places (250+)

Here & Now

P'boro
Reply #11 - 11/05/07 at 03:50:39

GM wrote on 11/04/07 at 12:18:07:

Discuss.

I think what we're all trying to say is....

has it/does it crappity smack?

Subtle enough for you?  Roll Eyes

....i took a chemical vacation in my head...now i'm back here at the station with a trunk of regret

IP Logged

susi
Low Friends In High Places (250+)

I love the Dels!

Reply #12 - 11/05/07 at 05:07:30

If I went onto a forum for Ryan Adams and found that his fans were utterly obnoxious then I don't visit the forum

and yes they are very similar to the "fans" in this forum.................

IP Logged

Tintagel
Funny Way To Win (500+)

lousy for del

West coast of Canada
Reply #13 - 11/05/07 at 05:13:33

susi wrote on 11/05/07 at 05:07:30:

and yes they are very similar to the "fans" in this forum.................

Oh, Damn! Here I was thinking that we were all originals.

maybe I'll be always laughing

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #14 - 11/05/07 at 05:14:56

You could always invade Alison and try to take this board over?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
(Moderator: webmaster)