Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome to the Official Del Amitri Bulletin Board!

Please register and email the webmaster with any questions!

Pages: 1 2 3 
Justin Currie's The Great War is out!!!!!!! (Read 10946 times)
Cristina
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Dels fan from Spain

Justin Currie's The Great War is out!!!!!!!
05/05/10 at 02:42:27

Hi everybody!
well, we don't visit here that often anymore but... how come nobody hasn't said anything about the release of Justin's new album yet...
I'm really looking forward to listen to your comments, so come on!
I think it's a brilliant album, and it has some of the best songs Justin has ever written... The music is great and his singing is just beautiful!!!
My favourite song at the moment is "The Fight to Be Human" but I love all of them and sometimes is quite difficult to just adore a whole record on a first listen but this time it's happened!
So, come out of Facebook and come back here for a while, dear folks!  Wink

IP Logged

MarieGee
Empty

I Love Del Amitri!

Re: Justin Currie's The Great War is out!!!!!!!
Reply #1 - 05/05/10 at 09:02:25

My copy just arrived in the mail and I've got it playing for the first time!  I just listened to The Fight to be Human.  One of the thing's I've always loved about Justin/Del Amitri are the social commentaries -- his take on things is raw but true.  I just can't find an artist I like better.  Enjoy the new tunes -- a breath of fresh air, much needed.

IP Logged

the last to know
Funny Way To Win (500+)

"Oh bollicking damn &
jumbo buggers!"

a mountain backwater in NC
Reply #2 - 05/05/10 at 19:56:07

I can't comment 'cos I haven't heard it yet.  Amazon says it's "in the mail."

"People are rarely strange and mostly dull but sometimes they worm away at you like a fascinating doubt."

IP Logged

mm
Empty

I Love Del Amitri!

Italy
Reply #3 - 05/06/10 at 00:13:06

My copy arrived tuesday. Listened to the record several times. I think it's a brilliant record with some great tunes. No filler and some of the best songs Justin has ever written. My favourite songs: "You will always walk alone", "The fight to be human" (great lyrics!), "Ready to be" (great guitar riff!) and "Baby, you survived". If you download the deluxe version from I-Tunes you can get 3 bonus tracks: "In my heart, the war goes on", "The darkness of the day" and "What you're looking at".

No better location

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Wilfully wobbling through
life

Reply #4 - 05/08/10 at 01:06:29

I want 'In my heart, the war goes on' - hopefully they're made available some other way. I refuse to take part in the iTunes debacle.

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #5 - 05/08/10 at 14:48:51

Also, having received the album today - initial impressions are disappointing.

IP Logged

the last to know
Funny Way To Win (500+)

"Oh bollicking damn &
jumbo buggers!"

Reply #6 - 05/10/10 at 16:17:55

David wrote on 05/08/10 at 01:06:29:
I want 'In my heart, the war goes on' - hopefully they're made available some other way. I refuse to take part in the iTunes debacle.

Hear, hear.  I had iTunes for awhile; more trouble than its exclusionary practices are worth.  And I hate downloading anyway.
Wink

"People are rarely strange and mostly dull but sometimes they worm away at you like a fascinating doubt."

IP Logged

the last to know
Funny Way To Win (500+)

"Oh bollicking damn &
jumbo buggers!"

Reply #7 - 05/10/10 at 16:20:07

David wrote on 05/08/10 at 14:48:51:
Also, having received the album today - initial impressions are disappointing.

Oh, but it grows on yer.

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #8 - 05/11/10 at 02:27:54

I've listened to it pretty constantly since I got it and it's not growing at all. 

There's filler (At Home Inside Of Me; Can't Let Go of Her Now), tedium (Ready to Be; Baby, You Survived) and plodding, over long, wordy messes (The Fight to be Human; Everyone I Love). That's six of eleven songs that are as weak as most of the material on Can You Do Me Good?

There's quality on there - three of his best songs in The Way That It Falls (the best on the album by a mile), As Long As You... and You'll Always Walk Alone. Plus solid fare A Man... and Anywhere Away From You. It just sounds like 'I need to make something upbeat' rather than making something good.

But that's half of the album, and the other half is so devoid of inspiration that it'll shortly be consigned to a life on my hard drive and not on my mp3 player.

IP Logged

MarieGee
Empty

I Love Del Amitri!

Reply #9 - 05/12/10 at 16:21:20

The beggars are getting choosy!

I don't know how many albums Justin is selling these days but I imagine he's doing it more for love than money.  I am not likely to EVER complain about anything he puts out because I find his take on life, love, the world, whatever, is still better and more interesting than most other stuff out there.  I'm just happy he's recording at all.  He could just sit around with nothing to do....  Wink

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #10 - 05/13/10 at 09:32:42

Quote:
The beggars are getting choosy!

I guess that's for me, but let's look at it this way: I'm the one buying Justin's album so, should I be grateful to him for releasing it? Never going to happen. I'll never be a beggar for a particular artist's stuff. If it's not good enough, I'll say so.

If you like it, that's fine. It's up to you. Personally, I think it's a backwards step from the frankly awesome What Is Love For. That's not being choosy, I just don't make excuses for an album that effectively gives up and has a cup of tea after every good couple of songs. A feature of Del Amitri themselves after Change Everything.

Quote:
I am not likely to EVER complain about anything he puts out because I find his take on life, love, the world, whatever, is still better and more interesting than most other stuff out there.

Well, obviously I still rate him or I wouldn't have bought the album, but I equally won't blindly buy whatever he records unless it's actually good. I don't think The Great War's a great album, it's pretty mediocre. There are enough good songs on it though to make it a worthwhile purchase for a fan.

When you see him leaving off something as good as In My Heart, The War Goes On in place of middling garbage like Can't Let Go of Her Now, it's easy to understand why his albums don't sell.

IP Logged

MarieGee
Empty

I Love Del Amitri!

Reply #11 - 05/14/10 at 09:05:55

We obviously have different takes on several elements of Justin Currie/Del Amitri's body of work.  I've never been disappointed by anything Justin's written (oh, Can't Let Go of Her Now just started on my iPod -- see, I hear him struggling with commitment in the song, far from middling garbage to me).  That's what I like about his stuff -- there's always something in his writing that resonates with me.  There's an honesty in every one of his songs, even those wrapped in the most frivolously poppy melodies and cliches.  It's why I listen and yes, it's why I'll loyally buy even an album full of Jilted Joe's recorded next to a leaky urinal in some dingy men's room somewhere in Scotland.  It's his voice (ideas) I seek out.  His pop delivery method (which I'm a sucker for, yes) just makes it all the better for me.  I don't feel that I, nor he, has any excuses to make for this latest offering.

I want to encourage him to keep writing, keep recording, keep releasing albums because I want to keep hearing what he has to say.  So no, I just can't bring myself to complain/compare/feel jilted...I just feel grateful that his voice is still there to be heard.

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #12 - 05/14/10 at 15:11:09

I don't want him to make excuses, just write a better album. It's cool you're a fan, but he's written these sort of songs many times before, and better too.

He's moved from an album where he felt like he actually cared about the songs, to one where it's an exercise in making something catchy. And it sounds completely fake much of the time.

You're a fan - that's great, but don't dismiss someone else's opinion as 'beggars getting choosy'. You do Justin and myself a disservice. I'm just as much a fan, and probably more because I know he can do better and actually want him to.

IP Logged

Jon L.
Empty

I Love Del Amitri!

Detroit, MI USA
Reply #13 - 05/15/10 at 16:41:43

I mostly agree with David.  The album is pretty good, but nothing special to me.  It doesn't really have any bad songs, but doesn't have any great songs.  Just a bunch of listenable but unremarkable songs.  Would I - or most of us Del fans - really listen to this album much if it were sung by someone else?  I doubt it.  Fortunately, JC's voice is awesome and he can turn average songs into good ones, which is the saving grace of the album. 

It's odd.  On one hand, just because it is Currie, I will like the album because I am a big fan of the Dels.  But on the other hand, I'm probably always going to be disappointed because I hold him to a higher standard than an average artist because I know what he is (was?) capable of when he is on top of his game.

Honestly, even though he is one of my all-time favorite songwriters, I think he could use some songwriting help at times.  I also don't care for the production and arrangement.  The playing lacks depth and vitality (which is definitely something Harvie brought to Del's recordings).  The sparse piano-only arrangement he did of "The Way That It Falls" on the radio a couple years ago is so much better than the bland string version he put on this album.  He took the soul right out of it.  I also preferred the original version of "As Long As You Don't Come Back".   

Like I said - it's a pretty solid album and I don't dislike it.  I think it's ok.  But I guess I just expect more.            

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #14 - 05/16/10 at 14:47:15

Jon, you're right on the button. I've never thought Iain was any great shakes as a guitarist, but one listen to something Not Where It's At shows that, as a producer and arranger, he knew exactly what a song needed.

That's the case with each of their albums: bits of mandolin, harmonica, 12-string harmonising, occasional bass, little guitar figures throughout, underneath the riffs.

Would it be so bad for Justin to take Roddy Frame's approach on Surf, and just strip it back down?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
(Moderator: webmaster)