Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome to the Official Del Amitri Bulletin Board!

If you've lost your password, click on "login" and then "forgot password."

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Del Amitri - Lost 2nd Album surfaces (Read 35510 times)
Alan
Empty

Del Boy!!!!

UK
Del Amitri - Lost 2nd Album surfaces
04/05/10 at 04:21:34

Was just trawling around the tinterweb this morning and stumbled upon a very interesting article on a blog which details a lost Del Amitri 2nd album, you can read all about it on the link below.

Has anyone else managed to get their hands on this little beauty?

http://firestationrecords.blogspot.com/2010/03/del-amitri-lost-second-album.html

IP Logged

gabrabbit
A Grimace Not A Smile (100+)

Re: Del Amitri - Lost 2nd Album surfaces
Reply #1 - 04/05/10 at 09:39:04

very interesting!  out in the wind is one of my favorite del songs (i managed to download it at some point back in the day).  i'd be extremely interested in hearing others like it if those tracks ever become available!  thanks for sharing!

what has developed here you can't erase

IP Logged

susi
Low Friends In High Places (250+)

I love the Dels!

Reply #2 - 04/05/10 at 10:55:20

a lost second album? will someone release it?

IP Logged

G_Lo
Empty

I love the Dels!

Reply #3 - 04/05/10 at 15:31:49

I never knew this existed - although many years ago I was offered some demos from this period from someone who I never saw again.....grrrr....I too have a copy of Out in the Wind  --  I also have a very jumpy and apparantly live version of Life Going backwards which I love

What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?

IP Logged

Jon L.
Empty

I Love Del Amitri!

Detroit, MI USA
Reply #4 - 04/06/10 at 13:59:31

I believe I have live versions of some of the tunes listed on there.  If anyone wants them, just send me a message with your email. Smiley

IP Logged

ryan s
Empty

I Love Del Amitri!

Canada
Reply #5 - 04/10/10 at 13:25:57

Wow! That would be super cool to hear. That sounds plausible, too, because 4 years in between albums, and considering that the divide between the first one and "Waking Hours" is so different in content, it would make sense. I'm guessing that it's sort of arty, kind of vaguely political or something.

From what I can gather from Justin's words on the history of Del Amitri in bios and whatnot, it sounds as though the band had high hopes of taking it's earlier protest type post punk stuff to the masses, but that it wasn't profitable enough to live on. Something that i've always admired about Justin and the band, is that even though they became much more commercial sounding, they never really dropped the protest stuff ("Nothing Ever Matters", etc) and just reconfigured it in a way where they could get the message out and support themselves. There's always been that punk thing in there (I was blown away when Justin said that he was a Cramps fan), but I think that he and the band had the smarts to go about the process in a different way. There was still always a pretty dark and unsettling undercurrent in alot of the songs (even "Stone Cold Sober"), where alot of the themes were more about loss and oppression and glass half empty thinking. Hell, "Not Where It's At" is pretty humble for a band, lyrically, at that point in their career! That's what I liked--the songs focused alot on being the outsider, the outcast....no matter how sunshiny the songs sounded on the surface.

So i'm guessing that the 2nd album was an aborted attempt at continuing on with the less commercial earlier sound. "Sense Sickness" in particular of the earliest days, you can really feel the oppression and the claustrophobic, suffocating vibe that they were trying to get across. They're a great band in every incarnation.

IP Logged

Luffy25
Empty

I Love Del Amitri!

Reply #6 - 05/01/10 at 01:44:40

I'm sure it is a good album. And some new songs. And that great

IP Logged

12stringbassist
Empty

at the DEEP end....

Bolton UK
Reply #7 - 02/02/14 at 05:19:19

Time to tour, lads........
IP Logged

Paul Hayes
Empty

Norwich
Reply #8 - 02/03/14 at 14:57:36

Is it likely that a planned second album ever got as far as a tracklist, as suggested in the blog post linked to, or is this a track selection and running order put together by fans from the demos sometime after the event?

IP Logged

fingersmaloy
Empty

I was here and so were
you.

Reply #9 - 01/17/19 at 12:54:10

I know this thread is dormant, but if anyone sees this, I've become a little obsessed with trying to decipher this one line in "I Am Here," around the 4:06 mark. I can't post links here but you can find the song on YouTube titled "Del Amitri - Lost 2nd Album - I Am Here."

Sounds like "...and then on Boxing Day I'll give you back which children [??????]"

Any guesses? I love the way this line sounds but can't make out the words, and that's just not gonna fly.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
(Moderator: webmaster)