Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome to the Official Del Amitri Bulletin Board!

Please register and email the webmaster with any questions!

Pages: 1 2 
Some Other Sucker's Parade (Read 24497 times)
David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Wilfully wobbling through
life

Re: Some Other Sucker's Parade
Reply #15 - 03/20/08 at 11:07:48

It is a beautiful piece of work - one of my favourites ever.  Someone gave that some real love.

IP Logged

carton
Empty

I Love Del Amitri!

Reply #16 - 07/26/09 at 06:10:58

Funny how David mentioned Lloyd Cole, the other great underestimated singer songwriter (by the huddled masses). It's a constant source of dismay to me that more people aren't listening or more importantly buying. It is the sales that keep them both creating after all. If they ever stop because of general bad taste we would all be so much more worse off.

IP Logged

janea
Funny Way To Win (500+)

From this side of the
morning I couldn't care
less

No Better Location
Reply #17 - 07/27/09 at 05:50:24

SOSP is NOT my favourite Dels album - too many soppy songs for my liking - but I do enjoy High Times.  Not listened to it for years though.  Maybe it's time I dug it out again.
Huh

WWW | MSN  
IP Logged

janea
Funny Way To Win (500+)

From this side of the
morning I couldn't care
less

No Better Location
Reply #18 - 07/27/09 at 06:02:08

OK - so maybe it's better than I remembered......

WWW | MSN  
IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #19 - 07/28/09 at 06:29:28

I loved SOSP, saying that I loved all their albums and there has been very little that JC has produced that I never liked.

IP Logged

Cristina
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Dels fan from Spain

Reply #20 - 07/28/09 at 07:04:20

Joseph the Eighth wrote on 07/28/09 at 06:29:28:
I loved SOSP, saying that I loved all their albums and there has been very little that JC has produced that I never liked.

The same to me!!! Oh, I can't believe that I agree with Joe in something... ;o)

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #21 - 07/30/09 at 04:32:45

David wrote on 03/18/08 at 14:09:19:
Jarvis Cocker, Thom Yorke, Imogen Heap, PJ Harvey all immediately spring to mind.

What a crock of shit.

I agree, Jarvis F ucking cordroy Cocker?  
Tell me this is a joke, the prick can't sing, he thinks he is funny and is the kinda bloke who works in a oxfam shop.

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #22 - 07/31/09 at 06:20:29

I’d even forgotten this guy had written such an idiotic, poorly scribed opinion piece about Del Amitri. If you want to go and write “op ed” pieces, at least make sure you can actually write with some semblance of style.

My point was simply that Sebastian was talking ill-informed, opinionated rubbish when he attests that Justin is the last great songwriter to emerge in Britain when Thom Yorke and PJ Harvey emerged following that period. In fact though, from His n’ Hers to This Is Hardcore, Pulp made records that were high quality from beginning to end.

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #23 - 08/02/09 at 13:18:47

Stop with the waffle, are you really trying to say the c o ck is a better song writer then Justin Currie?

« Last Edit: 08/03/09 at 08:14:54 by Joseph the Eighth »  

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #24 - 08/03/09 at 05:57:21

Individual songs by Justin are far better than anything Jarvis Cocker has written. Jarvis produced more consistent material in the same relative period.

Three albums:

CE (92) to His n’ Hers (94)
Twisted (95) to Different Class (95)
SOSP (97) to This is Hardcore (98)

There are songs on each of those Dels albums that are superior to songs on the Pulp ones, but the Pulp albums are a better overall listen. Also, Jarvis penned three anthems in Common People, Do You Remember The First Time and Disco 2000 and did a far better job of capturing the 60s pop vibe on Something Changed.

Anyway, your question has no bearing on my point – the OP said that Justin was the last great British songwriter. He wasn’t. Is that difficult to understand or shall I explain it again?

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #25 - 08/03/09 at 08:32:13

I was never concerned what the other guy said, its your usual cr*p that annoys me.

Once again you try to back track on another stupid comment with more and more waffle. Some time back you said Khan was a crap boxer, he is now world champion. You did the same the other day.

This kind of intellectual backtracking which you do might work with the 18 year birds you knock around with in your Falkirk pub scene but anybody past the age of adolescent stupidity can see that all you do is talk utter boll*cks and because you dress it up in your smug conceited own way you expect people just to accept it. I see it for what it is i.e talking utter boll*cks. 

What you say makes no sense, all this nonsense about Cocker being more consistent then Justin is utter utter silliness, the only song that made any impact was Common People but it is a song of its time and will age very very badly, the other songs you talk about were were only half successful due to silly sh*t/brit pop fans jumping on the bandwagon.

The fact you state that Elvis Costello as the best ever sums it up to me, that c*nt can't even sing. You lost you argument there and then.

Your entitled to your opinion, that I don't have a problem with but when your opinion is brought up you always try to steer away from the very thing that you said.

My advise to you is instead of talking bollo*ks, grow some.

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #26 - 08/04/09 at 01:48:45

Are you lonely, Joe? I hear The Samaritans are very helpful for people that feel the sort of loss-based anxiety you do.

If you’ve read any sort of backtracking, it’s only because you can’t read properly. I’ll notarise the points I make:

•      The OP says that Justin is the last great British songwriter. He isn’t – I consider Jarvis Cocker, Thom Yorke and PJ Harvey as greats and they post-date the start of Justin’s career
•      If you don’t include Elvis Costello as Britain’s greatest living songwriter, then you clearly lack the sense required to have this discussion. On innovation, longevity, relevance and simple critical appreciation there’s no one near him in the past twenty years from these islands
•      There’s no steering away from what we’re talking about – you asked why I would consider Jarvis as a great songwriter, then you went completely off-tangent AWAY from the point you made and asked if I think Jarvis is a better songwriter than Justin, which has sod all to do with what we’re talking about
•      If you honestly don’t think consistency is a watermark for greatness, maybe you should look at The Beatles. No one talks about their greatness without discussing the fact that they made a string of albums in a ten year period that were consistently high quality. No one would have cared about them in the long term if they released Revolver and then nothing worthwhile ever after

I’m not even touching the Amir Khan comment. You know zero about boxing because, if you did, you would understand why he’s no great shakes as a boxer.

You really should learn not to match your witlessness against me, you never win and you end up looking more stupid than ever.

IP Logged

thedooner
A Grimace Not A Smile (100+)

Que sera sera, whatever
will be will be.

Ireland
Reply #27 - 08/17/09 at 15:14:47

any of you ever hear of Sel Balimir?
Mike Vennert?
Justin Sullivan?
Phil Bretnell?
Alex Turner?
Simon Neil?
And countless other great song writers you lot have over there?

crappity smackING SPOILT YOU ARE!!

IP Logged

Tintagel
Funny Way To Win (500+)

lousy for del

West coast of Canada
Reply #28 - 08/17/09 at 19:38:03

Justin Sullivan for sure -- my other favourite Justin.. Wee man of great talent...  and a real sweetheart too.. Met him in Vancouver after a very small club show.

I would have to look the rest of them up I am afraid.

maybe I'll be always laughing

IP Logged

ryan s
Empty

I Love Del Amitri!

Canada
Reply #29 - 09/12/09 at 23:25:30

"Hobo chic", hahaa.

SOSP is maybe the Del's attempt at assuaging the record companies' growing concern that they were falling out of trends and the times, you know, so write something more commercial, concise, consistently more palatable. Their past records were sometimes a harder sell, because the diversity of styles were fairly large, which gave them a more wider appeal to smaller groups, but perhaps the real acceptance by a larger/ wider group was for much smaller of a period of time. Because really, the other records went from rockers to soul, to country, folk, protest folk, slight funk, ballads, etc.

For what it is, it's DA's most consistently pop-py album, I think....or at least to my ears. It does what it does well, and I love it for that on that level.

It happens to most bands.....they have a certain period of time that they're more popular, and then their popularity starts to wane. I think that "Roll To Me" may have been unexpected, and that the record company wanted more of the style of pop that made "Roll To Me" a hit. "Cmon guys, just write more of these types of hits" type of thing...."stop wasting your time with these political diatribes". SOSP sounds like, in alot of ways- that the "adult alternative" genre that they were unfairly grouped into after the rise of alternative rock- was on the decline and suffocated alot of similar groups that were suddenly left with no real large audience after their core audience from years ago had forgot about 'em, and the newer fans that got into "Roll With Me", their interest began and ended there.

That, to me, is what SOSP encompasses....the dichotomy of realizing that you're getting older and maybe aren't as angry at the world anymore and settling down.....but maybe not knowing where to go after that. Or maybe just being more content and accepting of the world around you. The lyrics are still self deprecating and world weary, but I think that the Dels packaged it in something a little less perceivably angry.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
(Moderator: webmaster)