Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome to the Official Del Amitri Bulletin Board!

If you've lost your password, click on "login" and then "forgot password."

Poll Poll
Question: Do you want more moderators on this site?

Yes    
  12 (60.0%)
No    
  8 (40.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: webmaster on: 10/12/07 at 10:13:02 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
site moderators? (Read 45261 times)
unbeliever
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Re: site moderators?
Reply #15 - 10/12/07 at 16:53:21

Yes to new mods - suggest that whoever does this does it anonymously though (new username) and like you say has a code of conduct to follow.  Kinda like the secret police! Wink

If life breaks your heart, you needn't fall apart

IP Logged

Rosemary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Reply #16 - 10/12/07 at 18:24:18

webmaster wrote on 10/12/07 at 15:43:15:
Tintagel wrote on 10/12/07 at 15:39:40:
I both agree and disagree. If you know that Joe or anyone else on here is joking around it is well and good and that is part of the fun of being on this board

But - if you were a newbie - It is a little much to take at first and you might just be scared off before you had a chance to settle in.

Maybe I should start by making a "Newbies" area, and have people agree to certain standards there, instead. Once someone moves out of that area it could be more "open season".

What do you think?

I love it. The Delfan newbie Intensive Nursery, where they are coddled at first, then jostled about lightly, then when they think they are ready, given a full on headbutt Glesgastyle, then have to sign a release of their firstborn to joe prior to entering the Eagle Lounge version of the website. I don't know whether to laugh or cry that it's come to this. It's all so crappity smacking PC Grin Cry Grin Cry Huh

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #17 - 10/13/07 at 14:51:17

I hate any form of censorship,of course I'm going to think like that you are no doubt thinking.

If this site wants to become like so many on the net then so be it,but I always thought it was beyond cool that nothing ever gets deleted and that people dont get banned apart from Hayley but she has learnt her lesson to be fair...

Truth is I am this board and if anybody should be a mod it should be me.

And David, who is this ex poster who dont like the banter now??

IP Logged

hayley
Funny Way To Win (500+)

North East England
Reply #18 - 10/14/07 at 05:46:55

Quote:
...people dont get banned apart from Hayley but she has learnt her lesson to be fair...

Grin  You understand how very far from the truth that is don't you?  

Or at least that I didn't learn the lesson you're probably referring to?   Wink

I've no problem with there being moderators - it certainly comes in handy when we get spammed.  As long as there are guidelines about when they should be deleting or banning and they're prepared to argue their point when they do it then it works out ok.  

I love the del boards - I wouldn't have loitered so long if I didn't - but there are times when this place is unpleasant and while I think I've been pretty good about all the crap slung my way (with only one targetted episode of real retaliation in 5 years!) I do get annoyed sometimes when I see people being attacked who've stayed out of the fray and not asked for it.  If people want to watch a few of us throw pooh at each other from the sidelines then they've got to expect a little bit of splatter but not that some of the combatants should band together and turn on them.

Sometimes the grass is greener, you just have to figure out if it's because the other field is full of shit.

IP Logged

Hilary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Virginia, USA
Reply #19 - 10/14/07 at 09:51:15

webmaster wrote on 10/12/07 at 12:14:12:
David wrote on 10/12/07 at 12:04:38:
Not sure it'd stop someone from being a thingy, but it's not a bad thing to bring in.
We *need* to stop being twatastic on this board. I've heard from over 5 new folk in the past two months that they love Del Amitri/Justin but won't use this board because of the attacks on members, and honestly? I'm a bit tired of it.

Speaking as someone who spent several years trying to moderate a lot of the regulars here in another venue, I can say it's a thankless task.  For every person that messages you to say they don't want to post due to fear of attack, you'll get another saying that it's all part of the character of the place and you should stop being a bossy bitch.

Best summed up as "herding cats".

Good luck!   Wink

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Wilfully wobbling through
life

Reply #20 - 10/14/07 at 10:40:40

I agree it's thankless, but when people use the argument that "it's the character of the board" they are just trying to validate and justify their terrible behaviour.

How many people have joined, seen one of Joe's posts and then run away, never to return?  Sad truth is that we are representative of Justin's fanbase, arguably the most devoted of them, and we do him a disservice by appearing so hostile due to the posts which are designed to attack others.

I'm am anti-censorship, but this is not censorship: you're entitled to voice your opinion, but not to berate and humiliate others for the sake of a quick laugh in doing so.  You can disagree with someone without having a go, surely?

For example, the glory hunters thread: what was the purpose of that except to intimidate these returned or new posters?  How many people do you think would visit the board, see that and really want to post anything?

We "shouldn't" need moderators, but the truth is that we do.

How does everybody else see a set of rules for a moderator?

Surely, if someone disagrees with the moderator, they can complain to Alison still for her to take it up - to have rules is overly prescriptive .

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #21 - 10/14/07 at 10:49:24

Did anybody read the glory hunters thread and thought it was for real?

Oh my good lord....It was the most silly thing anybody could say,but people still think its for real?

Time to get me coat I think...

IP Logged

Rosemary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Reply #22 - 10/14/07 at 10:50:37

You have truly become the voice of reason David, and I say that as someone who was the target of your attacks in  the past. One man's attack is another's 'flame' or 'witty retort' or 'windup'. Most of us are used to it, but the newbies Justin and his record co. will be trying to attract aren't. It is w/a bit of sadness that I must have to admit that we need to sugarcoat this place for awhile. Another option would be to do like Alison suggested and have a separate no holds barred, no one under 18, no whiners section of the board and to just keep the meat and potatoes Del/Justin music talk separate and sanitised. Not that we couldn't also talk about it on the Dark Side! My 2 cents...

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

IP Logged

abre mucho grande latte
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/14/07 at 11:03:19

David is right.  I hate to say it- but other boards do have moderators and these boards are highly successful in keeping people coming back.  No one likes to be personally attacked on a board.

IP Logged

Hilary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Virginia, USA
Reply #24 - 10/14/07 at 12:35:24

David, I agree with every word you say, but unfortunately you'll never get a consensus.

While the vast majority of folk are capable, and do, post while being civil and respectful, it is very difficult to draw a consistent line in the sand where you say up to the line is "having a laugh" and beyond the line is being offensive.  Particularly when you have a) people who are more sensitive to potential affronts than others, b) wildly differing sense of humours and c) huge cultural differences due to the international nature of the readership.

And that's just the every day banter. It's damned near impossible to prevent pre-planned major wind-ups unless you're psychic or one of the protagonists tells you after several pints in the pub.

What happened in the past was a split where for general anarchy with a vague del-related flavour you went to the UK forums, and for a more restrained on-topic atmosphere you came here.  Now we're all in one place the only way I could see it working would be to have an on topic only forum with good behaviour only and strict moderation.  I understand David's point about it validating the bad behaviour on the rest of the board, but I can't think of another way of doing it.  Not while we have several posters who relish the attention they get when they do something offensive.

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #25 - 10/14/07 at 13:17:04

Joe, whether for real or not - someone who doesn't know you and your sense of humour could very take that as being genuine.  Add to that it not being especially witty and there you go.

Rosie, I find you confusing - my "attacks" on you?  I've never been one to post topics simply to upset people and I only have a go in response to someone having a go at me - which is very much the case where you've been involved and, in addition, I don't recall anything we've posted to each other as being especially offensive - it's just an argument.  I have no issue with people arguing on forums, it's when it descends into bullying and aggressive, intimidating posts that causes the problem.

Perhaps it should be as simple as:

Del-related - music and del-related chat
General Discussion - beware offensive content.  By the same measure though, some things should be out of bounds no matter the arena for mentioning it.

IP Logged

webmaster
Board Administrator

Who is Del?

Reply #26 - 10/14/07 at 21:35:56

Okay, I created a new off-topic board. Do what you will there.

Also, I am going to move the old stuff out of Discussion to the Off-Topic board, but it may take a while, as I'm only ONE WOMAN!

Cheesy

Otherwise known as Alison
IP Logged

Johnny Too Bad
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Look at ma boaby!

UK
Reply #27 - 10/15/07 at 00:23:54

Everyone's offended by different things. I get a bit fed up of the sizeist, racist and homophobic sentiments occasionally expressed on this site (especially by that big English shirtlifter Brady) but the wind ups and general abuse is just good knockabout entertainment. Burke only fell for the US Tour thing because he's a knobhead, not because there was any real ill-intent.

No mods. Leave us alone.

And I know their mothers' ages and I know all the stories so well&&And I know I'll see their faeces in Hull.
IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #28 - 10/15/07 at 02:34:55

Some wind-ups are funny, some aren't - that's just personal taste.

You can't apply a rule-set arbitrarily, but you can say that certain things like constant personal attacks aren't allowed - it would just help the community grow a bit and that can't be a bad thing, surely?

IP Logged

Johnny Too Bad
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Look at ma boaby!

UK
Reply #29 - 10/15/07 at 08:23:43

I'm a country boy. I like small communities.

And I know their mothers' ages and I know all the stories so well&&And I know I'll see their faeces in Hull.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
(Moderator: webmaster)