Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome to the Official Del Amitri Bulletin Board!

If you've lost your password, click on "login" and then "forgot password."

Poll Poll
Question: Do you want more moderators on this site?

Yes    
  12 (60.0%)
No    
  8 (40.0%)

Total votes: 20
« Created by: webmaster on: 10/12/07 at 10:13:02 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
site moderators? (Read 43069 times)
webmaster
Board Administrator

Who is Del?

site moderators?
10/12/07 at 10:13:02

As you all are aware (I'm sure), there is no moderation to this site at all -- mainly because it's always been my belief that we're all adults here and should be able to comport ourselves as such. However, I've recently had an increase in feedback re: the board and was wondering what the general consensus is about moderation.

Don't worry about how we'll choose them, we can cross that bridge if we come to it.

You can discuss it in this thread.

Otherwise known as Alison
IP Logged

Rosemary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Re: site moderators?
Reply #1 - 10/12/07 at 10:46:26

I don't know about more moderators, but I had been thinking about bringing up the subject that now that Justin's record is out there will hopefully be more of the general public on here and perhaps we should begin to conduct ourselves in a more 'respectable manner' so as not to scare off the young, the impressionable and of course the 'real' fans who will once again be showing up around here now that there is some glory and music discussion to be had.

We've had it to ourselves all these years adrift in the land of no record deals, but now it's time to remember that this is not our private site and Justin's public image is tied up in this as well.

Signed,
Hey, I'm probably the worst offender anyway, or at least in the top several
Rosalita

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

IP Logged

abre mucho grande latte
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/12/07 at 11:02:56

I agree with you Rosemary.  If we were all adults- we would not need one.  But some on here are obviously needing some moderation.

IP Logged

welshgirl
Funny Way To Win (500+)

put what you like here
mitch!

Reply #3 - 10/12/07 at 11:10:01

Rosie, please don't start being all respectable on us. That really would be scary.....

IP Logged

Tintagel
Funny Way To Win (500+)

lousy for del

West coast of Canada
Reply #4 - 10/12/07 at 11:22:50

I agree and I think Joe should be one of the moderators - give him something to do instead of eat pizza and wank off.

maybe I'll be always laughing

IP Logged

welshgirl
Funny Way To Win (500+)

put what you like here
mitch!

Reply #5 - 10/12/07 at 11:23:56

I think I'd be deleted if Joe was a moderator

IP Logged

webmaster
Board Administrator

Who is Del?

Reply #6 - 10/12/07 at 11:27:51

Heh, don't worry, if there WERE moderators we would first introduce a "code of conduct" that they would have to enforce; Joe just couldn't ban at will. Plus, I would get final say Cheesy (*alison rubs hands together and cackles*)

IP Logged

Tintagel
Funny Way To Win (500+)

lousy for del

West coast of Canada
Reply #7 - 10/12/07 at 11:45:08

I can see Joe trying to ban himself right now.  Grin

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Wilfully wobbling through
life

Reply #8 - 10/12/07 at 12:04:38

Not sure it'd stop someone from being a thingy, but it's not a bad thing to bring in.

IP Logged

webmaster
Board Administrator

Who is Del?

Reply #9 - 10/12/07 at 12:14:12

David wrote on 10/12/07 at 12:04:38:
Not sure it'd stop someone from being a thingy, but it's not a bad thing to bring in.

We *need* to stop being twatastic on this board. I've heard from over 5 new folk in the past two months that they love Del Amitri/Justin but won't use this board because of the attacks on members, and honestly? I'm a bit tired of it.

Mods would probably have the right to: a) delete posts and b) possibly ban people. I think post deleting by people who spend a lot of time here would help, though.

IP Logged

thedooner
A Grimace Not A Smile (100+)

Que sera sera, whatever
will be will be.

Ireland
Reply #10 - 10/12/07 at 15:29:38

Quote:
think post deleting by people who spend a lot of time here would help, though.

not sure what you mean Alison?can you give us more?

am i the only person on here that enjoys joe's posts?

he does not take himself serious so why should these web surfers find insults and derogurotory remarks in a few posts on here?

i am a member of quite a few band sites and,hand on heart,even though i got slagged on here,i love this frickin place!!

justin has a dry and strange sense of humour,why cant his fans have the same?

censership on websites are bad,end of story.

IP Logged

webmaster
Board Administrator

Who is Del?

Reply #11 - 10/12/07 at 15:38:10

thedooner wrote on 10/12/07 at 15:29:38:
censership on websites are bad,end of story.

So is bad spelling. Tongue

The point is not to censor anyone. The point is that some people take things too far. I have no problem with most of Rory or Joe's posts, either. There is a line that shouldn't be crossed, though, and I'm tired of people toeing it purposefully.

IP Logged

Tintagel
Funny Way To Win (500+)

lousy for del

West coast of Canada
Reply #12 - 10/12/07 at 15:39:40

I both agree and disagree. If you know that Joe or anyone else on here is joking around it is well and good and that is part of the fun of being on this board

But - if you were a newbie - It is a little much to take at first and you might just be scared off before you had a chance to settle in.

IP Logged

webmaster
Board Administrator

Who is Del?

Reply #13 - 10/12/07 at 15:43:15

Tintagel wrote on 10/12/07 at 15:39:40:
I both agree and disagree. If you know that Joe or anyone else on here is joking around it is well and good and that is part of the fun of being on this board

But - if you were a newbie - It is a little much to take at first and you might just be scared off before you had a chance to settle in.

Maybe I should start by making a "Newbies" area, and have people agree to certain standards there, instead. Once someone moves out of that area it could be more "open season".

What do you think?

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Wilfully wobbling through
life

Reply #14 - 10/12/07 at 16:46:03

In fairness, and I'm quite prepared for Joe's tantrum, the get out clause of "oh, it was just a laugh" is really weak.

Just because some people see it as a joke doesn't mean everyone will take it that way.  It would be daft to assume that we don't have people who visit the board who might be vulnerable in some way and that some of the comments may really upset them.  Add to that that some of the behaviour constitutes as bullying and you've got a fairly shit community which is unlikely to grow because of the very fans that should want it to.

I know of one ex-poster who thinks certain members on the board are "twats" because of how they treated them.  I mean: isn't this meant to be a fan-site?  Running a wind-up is fine, but when it basically amounts to purposely trying to upset someone, surely post deletions and temporary bans are needed to make it clear that behaviour isn't tolerated?

A newbie area wouldn't solve anything, it just validates the shitty behaviour and basically tells anyone new that they are a child for wanting to be treated with some measure of civility.

This isn't censorship - the site is privately owned and you join in accordance of the rules.  i don't think Alison's asking for people to moderate their opinions, just act with some civility to each other.

I think we're lucky that Alison has been so tolerant so far, because there's plenty of other forums I visit where people get permanent ISP bans for much less.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
(Moderator: webmaster)