Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome to the Official Del Amitri Bulletin Board!

Please register and email the webmaster with any questions!

Poll Poll
Question: Should anyone be sharing JC's album?

Sure - it's good for promotion    
  3 (21.4%)
Not bothered either way    
  2 (14.3%)
No, It might hinder JC's chances of success    
  7 (50.0%)
I have a copy and have shared it....    
  2 (14.3%)

Total votes: 14
« Created by: Jules on: 07/07/07 at 16:42:37 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Should anyone be sharing JC's album? (Read 84475 times)
welshgirl
Funny Way To Win (500+)

put what you like here
mitch!

Re: Should anyone be sharing JC's album?
Reply #45 - 07/09/07 at 11:52:52

speak for yourself  Wink

IP Logged

Jules
A Grimace Not A Smile (100+)

I had this on LP once...

...this side of the morning
Reply #46 - 07/09/07 at 12:03:03

Quote:
forgive me for being thick but I dont have a clue what you are on about here...

As for the implication that its me who is doing the sharing you really are talking out of your crack now,I dont even know how to put songs on to my bloody ipod not alone hosting and sharing files and lets be honest here,we both know why you started this thread.

I'm sure that most people have read the thread and understood my point Joe - It's a shame that you can only see it as an attack on someone. I didn't imply that it was you - you asked if there was a name attached to the file share and I supplied it to you. I even have a screenshot, as I expected that some people might not believe me.

I didn't like seeing the album out there, but can't say that I'm feeling bad about downloading it - I'll be out getting my copy (or 2) on the day it's released just like the rest of you (or might be asking someone very nicely to pick up a copy for me, since it's not likely to be released on the Continent for some time)  Wink

I would walk 500 miles.....

IP Logged

Cristina
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Dels fan from Spain

Reply #47 - 07/09/07 at 12:09:23

Jules wrote on 07/09/07 at 12:03:03:
since it's not likely to be released on the Continent for some time)  Wink

Agghhh, please, don't say that if you're not a 100% sure!!! Will I have to travel to the UK to get the bloody CD (sure not) or get it from a shop online (most likely, I guess)? I want it on my local record store!!!!  Wink

IP Logged

Jules
A Grimace Not A Smile (100+)

I had this on LP once...

...this side of the morning
Reply #48 - 07/09/07 at 12:11:21

It's one of the down-sides to not living in the UK Cristina.....there are some more, I'm sure  Wink

I would walk 500 miles.....

IP Logged

Cristina
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Dels fan from Spain

Reply #49 - 07/09/07 at 12:24:54

Uhmm... Lovely weather, maybe?  Grin

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Wilfully wobbling through
life

Reply #50 - 07/09/07 at 15:51:34

While I don't morally agree with file-sharing, there's crappity smack all that can be done about stopping it.

How many people are going to actively search for JC's solo debut on an off-chance.  Snow Patrol, yes, but not Justin.

The majority of people at his gig at the ABC were old Dels fans, not JC fans.  The response to the new material was generally muted (perhaps because it's so maudlin).

If someone wants to make themselves feel special by giving out copies of an unreleased album, they must have pretty shallow lives, but all power to them.

People have sent me stuff and I wouldn't dream of passing it on - not for Ryan fans, Bruce fans, Elvis Costello fans or JC fans.  That's just because it's not fair on the person that sent me it in the first place, especially if they used a personal contact with the artist.

And, yeh, putting it on a filesharing network's crap, but Justin is hardly a priority act to bring lawsuits into force.  if he does so, like Metallica found out, all you're doing is suing potential fans or existing fans.

If you release an album, it will sadly become public domain within minutes because people do not respect the rights of the record companies to protect their profits, or that of the artist to control their own music.

It's crap, but a fact of life.

IP Logged

Rosemary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Reply #51 - 07/09/07 at 17:21:05

Yes, it's a fact of life that somewhere in the last generation that people have lost their music sharing etiquette/morality/whatever you want to call it. The fact that some people even on here don't get it just blows my mind. Sad It's Justin's record company's call though-it's not even down to him at this point. And I'm boring myself at this point, so good night all! Smiley I wonder if the sudden onslaught of goofysexspam has anything to do with our erstwhile fiend?

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #52 - 07/10/07 at 01:33:01

Truth is JC is so far off the commercial scale I don’t think that to many people will try to search for his new album anyway, from what I heard there seems to be a few people out there who have a problem with Justin for whatever reason so that is where this is coming from I think.

Of course its wrong and it does effect the artist but lets not forget that record companies have been ripping us the punter off for years, I don’t feel to guilty if I can get the odd track without paying for it.

IP Logged

king Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 07/11/07 at 08:56:18

I quite like waiting til its released - somehting to look forward to!

(If it doesnt get released though, I will gladly have a bootleg)

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #54 - 07/12/07 at 02:54:17

Maybe we should sell the bootlegs for £8 each and send the money to Justin?

IP Logged

Rosemary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Reply #55 - 07/12/07 at 03:18:51

He might make more $ that way

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #56 - 07/12/07 at 03:33:47

Heres a question for you all...

Will JC new album sell more then Can You Do Me Good?

IP Logged

Rosemary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Reply #57 - 07/12/07 at 03:48:18

Depends on how it's promoted...will it be picked up by a TV show, movie, satellite radio or *shock* commercial radio buzz cut status, etc. etc. People aren't going to find it on their own.

IP Logged

Joseph the Eighth
Funny Way To Win (500+)

The King III

In Sight Of France.
Reply #58 - 07/12/07 at 04:18:09

True, I would guess that any old del would buy it but there can't be to many of those really..

So on tha basis it will defo sell at least 10 copys Shocked

IP Logged

David
Funny Way To Win (500+)

life

Reply #59 - 07/12/07 at 04:48:30

He missed a trick really.  How many friends does he have on MySpace?  Say 3000 - if he'd sold his album for £10 each, he's have made £30,000 - and his recording costs were probably about £10,000 (I'm guessing - I don't know how long he was in the studio and how much the musicians cost him) - that's more than it would make on a record deal for the same sales under the royalties/recoup arrangement.

I can't imagine Ryko are offering him a king's ransom for the rights, so I wonder what the deal is.

I guess they've paid him a small amount with a guarantee of higher royalties and bigger marketing.  he'd paid for the album already, so it wasn't a big stretch for Ryko, I expect.

there will have been some condition on remixes and retracking, along with iTunes related publicity.  he really needs to get Out Of My Control onto Radio2.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
(Moderator: webmaster)