Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome to the Official Del Amitri Bulletin Board!

Please register and email the webmaster with any questions!

Poll Poll
Question: Should anyone be sharing JC's album?

Sure - it's good for promotion    
  3 (21.4%)
Not bothered either way    
  2 (14.3%)
No, It might hinder JC's chances of success    
  7 (50.0%)
I have a copy and have shared it....    
  2 (14.3%)

Total votes: 14
« Created by: Jules on: 07/07/07 at 16:42:37 »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Should anyone be sharing JC's album? (Read 84750 times)
Jules
A Grimace Not A Smile (100+)

I had this on LP once...

...this side of the morning
Should anyone be sharing JC's album?
07/07/07 at 16:42:37

For some time now, certain members of the board have made it obvious that they were in possession of pre-release copies of JC's album 'Rebound' - now to be called 'What is Love for'.
Sharing such material amongst loyal fans is one thing but putting it on a file sharing service for anyone to download is another - or is it?

I would walk 500 miles.....

IP Logged

the last to know
Funny Way To Win (500+)

"Oh bollicking damn &
jumbo buggers!"

a mountain backwater in NC
Re: Should anyone be sharing JC's album?
Reply #1 - 07/07/07 at 20:04:54

Do you think (or know) that anyone's done that -- put it on a file sharing service?

"People are rarely strange and mostly dull but sometimes they worm away at you like a fascinating doubt."

IP Logged

Rosemary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Reply #2 - 07/08/07 at 05:25:20

That would be stealing and punishable to the full extent of the law. Once he signed that contract, it became a commodity. If anyone did that, they're not just a moron, they're an asshole. They may have gotten it as a 'gift' but etiquette dictates not sharing it with anyone else, selling it or otherwise making it public.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

IP Logged

hayley
Funny Way To Win (500+)

North East England
Reply #3 - 07/08/07 at 10:07:53

One person at least has been liberally spreading copies of "Rebound" about recently.  I have the feeling the motivation there is less PR for JC and more self-promotion though.

It's a difficult one really - I don't object to people sharing other stuff but I don't feel as... invested? loyal? whatever... to those pieces of music.  I guess whoever shares this, when we've seen how long it's taken to get to this point, has to look to their own conscience if they were asked to keep it to themselves or not.  None of us seemed to have a moral objection to the Delfan project.

Sometimes the grass is greener, you just have to figure out if it's because the other field is full of shit.

IP Logged

Rosemary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Reply #4 - 07/08/07 at 10:53:02

Big difference hayley. This is an unreleased project under contract to a major label. It's like passing a baby around while it's still in the womb. Not the smartest or most viable of ideas. IMHO, of course...

IP Logged

welshgirl
Funny Way To Win (500+)

put what you like here
mitch!

Reply #5 - 07/08/07 at 10:56:50

Is it likely that this album is ever going to be available to buy legally?

IP Logged

Tintagel
Funny Way To Win (500+)

lousy for del

West coast of Canada
Reply #6 - 07/08/07 at 11:09:18

Okay - my ten cents. If you have something early which - when (If - that's for you Caroline) it is available - you are going to buy and so enable money to flow to the pocket of the maker of said music and thus encourage him to make more then I see no harm - as long as you are not posting it on something like Limewire or giving copies to everyone you meet on the street.

that said I want to know where all these copies are??????

maybe I'll be always laughing

IP Logged

Rosemary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Reply #7 - 07/08/07 at 11:09:57

I think it's due to be released in September on Ryko?

IP Logged

Rosemary
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Reply #8 - 07/08/07 at 11:23:28

I can think of 2 people on here who would do it for self promotional purposes. One, selfishly to get laid/prove Glesga clout, the other maybe a little overzealous and just not thinking ahead..

IP Logged

hayley
Funny Way To Win (500+)

North East England
Reply #9 - 07/08/07 at 11:46:36

Rosemary wrote on 07/08/07 at 10:53:02:
Big difference hayley. This is an unreleased project under contract to a major label. It's like passing a baby around while it's still in the womb. Not the smartest or most viable of ideas. IMHO, of course...

I see the difference Rosie - I just don't think my moral-objection-o-meter would twitch so much for many other artists and that is because we've been sitting having sympathetic morning sickness, varicose veins, weird food cravings, mood swings and now (hopefully) labour pains for such a long, long time.
Wink 

Sometimes the grass is greener, you just have to figure out if it's because the other field is full of shit.

IP Logged

Cristina
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Dels fan from Spain

Reply #10 - 07/08/07 at 13:44:13

Rosemary wrote on 07/08/07 at 11:09:57:
I think it's due to be released in September on Ryko?

So is it finally September instead of October?? And is it also certain that it is no longer called "Rebound"? I loved that name!
I really hope that no one is sharing the songs online somewhere because that would be a complete disaster in terms of future sales, and not to mention the illegallity of it too...
In my opinion, if some of those copies have got to the true fans, they shouldn't just be sharing it with anybody... but I'm also sure that if they are true fans they are the ones who will definetely buy the album whenever it comes out, so we shouldn't have to be too worried... It's been a long way to get here and I'm sure we all will wait patiently as it's almost here!!! Yeah, Hayley, almost as a labour... A long but a happy ending, hopefully!!!

IP Logged

ChrissieA
Funny Way To Win (500+)

Can't imagine life without
Del Amitri in it!

Colchester, England
Reply #11 - 07/08/07 at 13:51:49

I agree Cristina.

I'm sure (or at least I hope) that none of the true fans would put it on a file share service.  Sad

We're definitely the ones who'll rush out and buy it the day it's released, we'll promote it like hell, probably buy extra copies to give to folk and generally support JC as much as we can....

....well, I will anyway!  Smiley

I'm a woman with nothing to do....

IP Logged

welshgirl
Funny Way To Win (500+)

put what you like here
mitch!

Reply #12 - 07/08/07 at 15:48:37

I almost feel like sharing it just for the hell of it now....

IP Logged

the last to know
Funny Way To Win (500+)

"Oh bollicking damn &
jumbo buggers!"

a mountain backwater in NC
Reply #13 - 07/08/07 at 16:59:01

Am agreeing with everyone here.  No problem with some under the table sharing among loyal and responsible folk, but promiscuous or on-line sharing is not on.

As for none of us being bothered by the copying done for the Delfan project, I'd be willing to bet it served the artists in question more than not.  I know I bought music by some of the people I was introduced to on the compilations, and intend on purchasing more.
Smiley

"People are rarely strange and mostly dull but sometimes they worm away at you like a fascinating doubt."

IP Logged

Tintagel
Funny Way To Win (500+)

lousy for del

West coast of Canada
Reply #14 - 07/08/07 at 17:31:17

the last to know wrote on 07/08/07 at 16:59:01:
Am agreeing with everyone here.  No problem with some under the table sharing among loyal and responsible folk, but promiscuous or on-line sharing is not on.

As for none of us being bothered by the copying done for the Delfan project, I'd be willing to bet it served the artists in question more than not.  I know I bought music by some of the people I was introduced to on the compilations, and intend on purchasing more.
Smiley

I couldn't agree more. I am planning on doing the delfan project next year if it happens just so I can introduce some musicians I like to all of you and maybe get you all interested in their stuff too.

maybe I'll be always laughing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
(Moderator: webmaster)